Allen Roofing Company Rhino Tuff Roofing offers tips and advice on safely cleaning your gutters.
With winter quickly approaching it is that time of year again to ensure your gutters are clean and free of debris. Although the task haunts many folks for various reasons, cleaning your gutters is not something that should be feared. Follow our advice, and you may be surprised at just how easy it can be.
To safely and effectively clean your gutters:
- Decide what you will use to store leaves and debris. Something lightweight and easy to handle is recommended.
- Grab a stable ladder and rest it at about a foot above the gutter. For a single story home, use a four-legged ladder. For a two story home, use an extension ladder.
- Use a plastic gutter scoop. Gutter scoops can be purchased at most hardware stores. Why not use metal? Metal scoops can cause damage when scraping against the inside.
- If downspouts are clogged, then use water to clean them. Keep the water pressure low.
- Never attempt to use a gutter or downspout for leverage. They have not been designed to withstand much pressure or weight.
- Use gloves. Gutters are a dwelling place for harmful bacteria.
In summary: scoop out large debris, rinse with water, then check the downspouts for clogs.
Allen Roofing Company Contractor Brett Hannah, President of Rhino Tuff Roofing, is a licensed contractor that has been in the business for 10 years. Rhino Tuff Roofing is an approved contractor for all insurance companies.